At the foot of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, protected by the highest coastal mountain range in the world, the Wiwa community of Seyamake live rooted in its surroundings like any other natural element. From its origins, this tribe of the municipality of Dibulla in northern Colombia understands the relationship it has with its habitat, through symbolism, ancestral rites and the worship of what it believes to be sacred.
We are walking through an unending labyrinth of streets flanked by hundreds of buildings crammed around us. They are towers over 30 meters high – 10 or 11 stories – protecting us thankfully from the sun’s suffocating heat. No, we are not in the Chicago Loop, nor the Hong Kong quarter of Tsim Sha Tsui or San Francisco Financial District. We are in Manhattan, but not that Manhattan. This is Shibam in Yemen, the Manhattan of the desert, and these skyscrapers were erected 1,700 years ago.
It’s first light on the road connecting Argentina to Bolivia. The journey so far has been one of blind bends and narrow paths, which the cars have to negotiate if they want to reach stage finish line. The objective, closer every minute, still blurs in the face of the unknown.
ACCIONA has installed the world’s first lighthouse made of composite materials in the Port of Valencia. The building is self-sufficient in energy, relying only on renewable sources, and it is lighter, more modern, sustainable and durable than its conventional predecessors.
Water, an essential element for life, make up 71% of the planet’s surface. Paradoxically, only 3.5% of this water is suitable for human consumption, to be found in lakes, rivers and springs to supply our physical and hygienic needs. The remaining 96.5%, located in seas and oceans, is not drinkable due to its high level of salinity.